Tax-Related Identity Theft

Most people have heard of identity theft with fraudulent purchases made using a credit card or loan. Tax-related identity theft, however, occurs when an identity thief uses your social security number to file a false tax return. The IRS Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft outlines important warning signs and steps to take to protect yourself. 


What are some of the warning signs?

· More than one tax return was filed under your social security number.

· During a year that you did not file a tax return, there is suspicious activity – owing additional taxes or collection action taken against you.

· IRS records show that you earned wages from an employer you do not know.


What can you do?

· Do not give your social security number to a business unless absolutely necessary.

· Review a copy of your credit report every year.

· Use firewalls and security features on your computer(s).

· Make sure you know who is asking for your personal information.


Steps (from the IRS website) to take if you become a victim:

· File a Police Report.

· File an FTC complaint at

· Contact one of the three credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your account.

· or 1-800-525-6285

· or 1-888-397-3742

· or 1-800-680-7289

· Close any financial accounts opened without your permission.

· Respond immediately to any IRS notice, according to instructions.

· Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit.

· Continue to file your tax return, even if by paper.


For further reading, visit

For more information, please call the office of Ronald Castor LC at 913.469.9113.